Sunday 13 September 2015

Why I have chosen Japanese Cuisine



"Harvest The World" by M. licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0


Food is not just eating for me ,but a way to discover new ways of living, beliefs, experiences and cultural identities. The different types of cuisine that exist allows us to travel without necessarily having to cross boundaries as it is now easier to have a glance at other countries cultural identities with globalisation .I think that living in a multi-cultural society has shaped my passion for learning about new food cultures. I love to travel but not having the time and the means, I’m always trying to find new ways to discover new cultures and more precisely the food one as it gives us an insight on the way of living, beliefs and history of a country.


“Food is not just what we put in our mouths to fill up; it is culture and identity. Reasons plays some role in our decisions about food, but it’s rarely driving the car.” Jonathan Safran Foer 


I have chosen the Japanese cuisine as it already gives us the philosophy that Japanese adopt to live. Japanese cuisine offer such a unique culinary experience whether it is in terms of the dressing of the plates, the different taste it offers ranging from salty, sweet, sour to bitter. It offers an explosive taste in the mouth. Japanese cuisine also makes us discover more on the Japanese culture and see how Buddhism impact on the way they prepare the food.  The five colours white, black, red, green and yellow are present in most of their meal which are apparent to Buddhism.  When I first went to Izumi Restaurant in Mauritius, this is what struck me the most, the way all the plate were colourful as the meal progress and how the meal was presented with the most subtle flavour first, follow by the soup and more strong textures and then we have meat with rice or pickles and dessert. Thus when eating Japanese food we are using all our senses. The peaceful environment of any Japanese restaurant is also what makes it so unique for people.


© Anne-Sophie Menty 2015 All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I am a big sushi lover myself and wish to try other Japanese cuisine, but since I am unable to do so right now, I will keep tuning into your blog to learn more about their food culture for when I get a chance to do so. I hope you have posts on their etiquette as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy :) It's nice to see another fan of Japanese Cuisine.

    ReplyDelete